Halloween Tips

//Halloween Tips

Halloween Tips

Halloween brings some dangers for pets that can be avoided if planned for ahead.

  • Pets and candy, the worst most toxic of the candy is dark chocolate, but keep all candy away from your pets, as it can make them sick. As a veterinary emergency hospital, we see many cases of chocolate toxicity. The symptoms to look for are:
    • Signals of discomfort such as tail down, bloated stomach, panting, not acting normal
    • Vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, increased thirst, urination and elevated heart rate It’s important to get treatment as soon as possible because you want to get the toxic material out of the digestive system as early as possible.
  • Halloween candy wrappers, costumes and decorations can be hazardous if ingested. Items can cause obstruction of the digestive system and, if metal, can cause toxic poisoning. Symptoms can appear similar to toxic ingestion: Lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea.Again, it is important to get treatment as soon as possible to determine what is causing the problem and how best to remove any obstructions to the digestive system. There are minimally invasive options to surgery now available, such as endoscopy which may be effective if treatment is initiated quickly.
  • Dogs and cats can be frightened by Halloween costumes and loud noises and dogs may chase visitors. Keep your pets confined in interior rooms or a crate for their safety.
    •  It’s a good idea to walk them before the visitors come.
    •  Be sure your pets have current identification tags. Microchips are always a good idea.
    • Take care that your pet doesn’t escape when you open the door.
  • Keep black cats inside, many times black cats have been treated harshly or abused, so be aware.
  • Keep your pets and your home safe. Be sure any candles cannot be knocked over. And remember, cats and dogs just love those glow sticks and sparkling decorations.