When Mattie, a two-year-old Boykin Spaniel, began vomiting, acting lethargic and showing no interest in eating, her owners thought she might have eaten something other than food. Recognizing the classic symptoms of a foreign body in her stomach or intestines, Mattie’s family veterinarian referred her to Western Carolina Regional Animal Hospital for an immediate endoscopic exam.

Timing was critical because a foreign body in the stomach can often be located and removed using an endoscope. But if the material has time to pass from the stomach to the intestines, surgery is required to remove it. Intestinal surgery involves a difficult recovery for the pet and can be substantially more expensive than an endoscopic procedure.